Aug 11, 2019
Originally Presented: July 1, 2007
Scripture Reading: Romans 7:14-25
Romans 7:23 refers to the struggle between holiness and sin that Christians experience within as a war. Galatians 5:17, Colossians 3:5, and 1 Peter 2:11 say much the same thing. The battle is real and it is unavoidable for Christians. One question is, 'How do we fight this war?' What, exactly, do we do as we fight in this lifelong battle?
1) Remember the reality of Christ's victory. The death blow to sin has been struck (Heb 2:14). The 'old self' has died in Christ (Rom 6:5,6) and so the he will not succeed in domination now. His destruction is certain.
2) Remember the painful, destructive effects of sin (Jam 1:15).
3) Make confession of sin a daily practice (1 Jn 1:9).
4) Do not put yourself in a circumstance in which you know you will be tempted (Rom 13;14).
5) Fellowship regularly with other Christians in corporate worship and cultivate genuine friendships with them (Heb 10:24,25).
6) Develop a life of passionate discipline (1 Cor 9:27; 2 Tim 4:7).
7) Delight your soul on pleasures that are superior to the pleasures of sin (Col 3:2; Phil 4:8).
8) Memorize and meditate on the Word of God (Psa 119:9,11).